Strategies and Policies
QuĂ©bec Biopharmaceutical Strategy
QuĂ©bec presents numerous advantages to the biopharmaceutical industry:
- Its labor force has brought innovation and creativity to the life sciences industry.
- Its biopharmaceutical industry is highly competitive and enjoys access to state-of-the-art technology.
The government intends to exploit these benefits. QuĂ©bec is extending a hand of support to the industry by providing it with tools to brave the world economic turmoil and the challenges of competition.
A sea change is washing over biotech and big biopharmaceutical firms alike, and this will have an impact on their future decisions and the entire QuĂ©bec biopharmaceutical industry.
Growing R&D expenses, trouble launching new products, competition from emerging markets, and the expiration of patents are just some of the challenges the industry faces. The world economic climate is a further stress in these already trying times.
The QuĂ©bec Biopharmaceutical Strategy provides development support for biotech and biopharmaceutical firms.
Its vision? That QuĂ©bec be recognized around the world as THE place for global biopharmaceutical investments, whether because of its highly qualified labor force, the efficiency of its technology innovation system, its R&D know-how, or the availability of capital.
QuĂ©bec will be providing financing of $122.77Â million to implement its strategy.
Click here to download the QuĂ©bec Biopharmaceutical Strategy.
QuĂ©bec Research and Innovation Strategy
To distinguish itself from other economies andthus ensure its prosperity, QuĂ©bec must rely on research and innovation. The establishment of an environment conducive to the development of research and innovation is more crucial than ever.
The QuĂ©bec research and innovation strategy, An Innovative, Prosperous QuĂ©bec, reflects this context. The strategy pinpoints the challenges that it is essential to meet and the measures required to optimize spinoff on the economy and employment from investments devoted to research and innovation.
It has been elaborated in the wake of the QuĂ©bec economic development strategy, The QuĂ©bec Advantage, and reiterates the mobilizing targets spelled out in the strategy:
- ensure by 2010 that research spending reaches 3% of GDP and maintain QuĂ©bec among the leading countries in subsequent years;
- increase the private sector's share of R&D financing from 60% in 2002 to over 66% in 2010.
Click here for more information.
QuĂ©bec Drug Policy
- First of its kind in North America (Adopted in 2007)
- Ensure that economically disadvantaged people have better access to medication
- Recognizes the pharmaceutical industryâ€™s significant contribution to the economy
- The 15-Year Rule - Unique measure in Quebec
- Mechanism to manage increases in drug price
Click here to download the QuĂ©bec's Drug Policy (in French)
Source : MDEIE, MSSS