Sherbrooke and Eastern
Type of Organization
Fields of Activity
Cancer / Oncology / Hematology
Debiopharm Group™ is a Swiss-based global bio-pharmaceutical group of companies with a focus on the development of innovative prescription drugs that target unmet medical needs. Oncology is the group’s main area of expertise. In addition, Debiopharm Group™develops or co-develops drugs for specific indications in the following therapeutic areas: infectious diseases, neurodegenerative disorders, cardiovascular diseases, pain, metabolic diseases and immune-mediated diseases.
Debiopharm Group™'s core activities consist in:
* Licensing-in new molecules presenting potentially superior therapeutic properties. This takes place following a robust search and evaluation process;
* Taking the licensed-in molecules through the entire development process, i.e. pre-clinical and clinical development, formulation, manufacturing and registration;
* Selecting the best licensee(s) for the worldwide commercialisation of the registered drugs.
Debiopharm Group™ has developed extensive expertise in other areas by carrying out:
* Applied research in the field of peptides, e.g. to develop molecules with an enhanced safety and/or efficacy profile;
* Drug delivery research, for instance to facilitate the administration of drugs to patients in emerging markets for whom a daily pill or a daily injection may not be practical;
* Life-cycle management from a relatively early stage;
* Industrial manufacturing involving the company’s own proprietary technology. It can be noted that Debiopharm Group™ has FDA-approved clinical scale-cGMP manufacturing facilities in Valais, Switzerland.
In addition, Debiopharm Group™ has been involved in the field of companion diagnostics since 2008, with a view to progressing in the area of personalised medicine.
Debiopharm Group™ has funded a chair at the EPFL (Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne) and grants each year three scientific awards: two in Switzerland (EPFL and Haute Ecole valaisanne), and one in Japan (JCA-Mauvernay Award).
Debiopharm Group™ has a team of 300 professionals from over 20 different countries; and it is advised by a network of international consultants with scientific expertise in all relevant areas.
Debiopharm Group™ invests in the molecules that it licences in while bearing the entire financial risk of the development process. Debiopharm Group™'s main source of income consists in royalty payments, part of which is shared with the originators of the molecules.
Debiopharm Group™ has successfully brought five products to market, namely:
* Eloxatin®/Elplat®, a DACH platin for the treatment of colorectal cancer. The active substance of this drug is oxaliplatin;
* Decapeptyl®/Trelstar®/Pamorelin®, a LHRH agonist for the treatment of prostate cancer, endometriosis and precocious puberty in a 1-month formulation. The active substance of this drug is triptorelin.
* Decapeptyl®/Trelstar®/Pamorelin® in a 3-month formulation;
* Decapeptyl®Trelstar® in a 6-month formulation;
* Moapar®/Salvacyl® 3-month, an LHRH agonist for the treatment of sexual deviations. The active substance of this drug is triptorelin.
Debiopharm Group™'s latest achievements include but are not limited to partneships with Pfizer and with Novartis, which illustrate the complementarity between the leading pharmaceutical companies and Debiopharm Group™.
Debiopharm Group™ was founded in 1979 and is headquartered in Lausanne, Switzerland.
licensing-in, pre-clinical, clinical development, formulation, manufacturing, registration, peptides, applied research, drug delivery research, industrial manufacturing, cgmp manufacturing facilities, companion diagnostics,